Thursday, October 27, 2005

Hampton Roads Snort Users Group

As some of you know, I've been wanting to meet more infosec pros in my local area (sounds like the beginning of a 900 number ad). I started by volunteering as a SANS Local Mentor, and that worked very well, but now I'm going to take the next step.

I've been working with the fine folks at Sourcefire to help me create a local Snort Users Group, and I'm finally ready to announce our first meeting!


Date: 1 Dec 2005
Time: 7:00PM
Place: Williamsburg Regional Library
515 Scotland Street
Williamsburg, VA
(757) 259-4040
Meeting room B

The speaker for our inaugural meeting will be Sourcefire's Jason Brvenik, who will fill us in on the new target-based IDS technology that they are incorporating into the open source Snort code.

By the way, don't let the group's name fool you. Even if you're not interested in Snort itself, please consider attending anyway. Most Snort user groups cover a variety of security-related topics, and that's what I want for this one, too. So if you want to meet some of your peers in an informal setting and learn some of the newest happening in the security world, HRSUG is for you!

Please pass the word, and contact me (david vorant com) if you'd like any more information.

No comments: